Monday, August 5, 2013

UFC president Dana White on pursuing your passions

In 2010, UFC president Dana White addressed the Oxford Union Society in Oxford, England. When asked what his exit strategy was for the UFC, White quipped "Death". But he is serious in that he only pursued the UFC dream because he was passionate about and didn't do it to build up the company and then sell it. He got into the game because he loved it, and it was more about passion than anything else:

It was never about the money for me. If it was about money for me, I'd still be standing in the lobby of that hotel in Boston. (Dana was a bellman) It was about doing something that I loved, it was more about passion. I think that so many people, not only in the United States, but all over the world jump in their car every morning and drive to a job that they absolutely hate. But they have to do it because they have to pay the bills. You don't have to do it. You don't.  I think you take whatever it is that you would do for free and you figure out the way to do it. And the other thing that happens to a lot of people is they stay in that job for so long, like, "Now I'm 30 years old, I have two kids...I got this, I got that". Don't be that guy. Don't be that guy that's laying in that hospital bed going, "I wonder what would have happened if I tried it." The worst thing that could happen is it doesn't work, it doesn't work and then you can go back to that job that you hated, that job's always going to be there, you know what I mean? Somebody's always going to have to fill that position. You can go back and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment




More interesting and intelligent quotations