Thursday, January 2, 2014

Q&A with Mike Swick; talks Thailand, inspiring people, returning to MMA in 2014


What have you learned from living in Thailand and creating AKA Thailand there?
I have learned a great deal about business, especially doing business in a foreign country. Its been a challenging but exciting venture that has kept me interested and eager the whole way through. Finally we are finishing up construction to open next month! 

What are the Thai people like and how has living in Thailand changed your perspective on life?
The Thai people in general are very friendly. It has been a great experience living in Phuket, as its one of my favorite spots on earth. Very beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. 

When can we see you fight again in the UFC?
I am going to return in 2014 if all goes as planned with my health. Still dealing with my esophageal issue and a couple injuries, so I have just been focused on getting better and building this gym.

What are some of the big lessons you've learned through being a part of MMA that carry over into life outside the cage?
One of the biggest lessons is the belief in hard work, sacrifice and perseverance. I believe almost anything can be obtained through hard work and sacrifice. I swear by it and always have. You also have to ride the storm out when things are not so good. I have been at many crossroads in my MMA career and during this project where I thought things could be over. Sometimes I couldn't even come up with how they could recover, but I just keep pushing forward, sometimes blindly. In the end, things just seem to work out and there is always a reward to grab for that commitment. 

What inspires you?
Success. Seeing success and hearing about success. Success cannot be given or bought. You gotta earn it and thats what makes it so rare but rewarding.

What is the most fulfilling part of being a mixed martial artist?
Impacting people. Its really awesome to hear stories about people who are true fans and look to fighters for inspiration. Going through my medical problems, I have been in contact with many people like myself. I helped a lot of them and that feels great. I think success is measured by how many people you can touch, inspire and change. Not by how much money you can make or how many cars you drive.

Do you feel there's a difference between being a fighter and a martial artist and what do you consider yourself to be?
I think there is a difference between a fighter and a martial artist. I feel I am both. I started out as a fighter and became a martial artist. A fighter is a person who will fight for what he wants. Someone who will not take no for an answer and will pick himself up no matter how many times he falls. When you can take that guy and train him in martial arts, he can become a great mixed martial artist.

What's next for you in 2014?
2014 is hopefully going to be a big year for me. I am looking to launch a super gym that is like nothing ever created before. Three acres of first class facilities catering to fitness and fighting, right in the heart of one of the most beautiful islands in the world. I want to create the worlds largest and most complete fight camp ever. If that sounds kind of ambitious, hang out with me for a day and you will think this is just small talk. (smiles)

No comments:

Post a Comment




More interesting and intelligent quotations